PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will demographics kill IR?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2017, 02:47
Tuner 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t_cas
Property is fixed in a geographical market. Pilots (or any labor) can move at next to a whim in comparison. Terms and conditions are an important factor alongside remuneration.
Therefore the pilot market is only constrained by our perception of boundaries. We operate in a global industry. The fleets are relatively common in type and our skills and training are very much transferable.
Acute shortages will be regional and driven by supply and demand alongside terms and conditions.
While property may be fixed, I think the analogy is still very relevant, as the location of the airlines is generally also fixed, apart from a still small number of overseas bases offered by a few airlines. The location of the airlines being generally fixed, as properties are fixed, means that location will will affect demand and prices/terms and conditions.

As I said above, the middle eastern and Chinese-based carriers could offer double what I get at home and I still wouldn't be interested. So,while the pilot market might be global, so long as a sufficed terms are offered in popular places like Australia, the shortage will be much less likely to play out at Australian carriers that remunerate sufficiently.

Or, if that's wrong, then wonderful and I can't wait for this global shortage that's been decades in the marking to provide huge improvements to my QF LH terms.