PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter Pilot Longevity ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2017, 22:58
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
Salute!

I have to subscribe with the mortality tables that are based upon fighter pilots. Any clue where those might be?

If you can pass an astronaut physical for 30 or 40 years and routinely fly stressful maneuvers until you are 50 years old, then seems to me that you have good genes.

Glenn and Cernan just died, and Aldrin just made a low pass over launch pad 39 at the Cape in the back seat of an F-16.

I had to stop in mid life after 25 years of the astronaut physicals and then took the physicals until about 10 years ago. Other than corroded lungs due to smoking for over 50 years, things seem fine. A couple or three combat tours prolly added some stress besides being away from wife and kids, but whatthehell.

If I had the $$$ back then, I would have started a life insurance company for old fighter pilots. How many average bears can pass all those physicals and not have serious mental or physical problems for 20 or 30 years? Most of my classmates have been married to the same person for 40 or 50 years, and the ones that flew fighters have usually gone west due to weird cancers or such and not heart problems.

So I blame my existence on good genes, despite my poor health habits like drinking and smoking and chasing women.

Gums opines...