PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2017, 22:29
Eddie Dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Gotta love the old LAME vs Pilot arguments on engine operation...
It won't be long til Tail Wheel gets out of Church and starts cleaning up this thread drift.

Squawk it appears to me that it is more a case of ex military officers having problems with the ORs disagreeing with them.

I was once at a debrief after a Caravan had an engine roll back to 56% Ng in flight and the pilots dead sticked about 15 mile to a beach.
Memory is a bit iffy, Taily and can correct me, but during restart attempts the engine was shut off and the Ng dropped to zero, subsequent restarts didn't achieve self sustain RPM.

Propellor rotation will only rotate the power section, it will not turn the gas generator.

As Ramrod has previously explained, to achieve the 18% or more gas generator speed to effect successful lightoff, one needs a high airspeed for ram air to spin the compressor section to this RPM.

As Connedrod has explained, without sufficient Ng the oil pump pressure will not be high enough to deliver sufficient pressure to the CSU to pump oil to maintain propellor blade angle and may in fact come back to feather.