PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depth of Knowledge for Meterology
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2017, 21:24
jamesgrainge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piltdown Man
Somebody has a little problem that is about to get a lot bigger. Learning chart symbols is simplicity itself. No interpretation required, no fancy language, just tick the correct box for each squiggle. But it's the price you pay to get licence. Simple learning a five year old could do. As to their relevance for PPL flying that is questionable, but you don't have the luxury of any choice. Aviation law is equally trivial to learn, but does matter. But these two subjects demonstrate your problem. As the professionals have pointed out, the ATPL subjects are a little bit harder but considerablly broader. Some may argue that they are parts that are irrelevant to many aspects of flying but the big thing is if you are struggling now you really shouldn't bother with commercial flying. You won't be able to cope with the exams because you have demonstrated beyond doubt this entry level is above you as you are finding these things difficult. But this does not mean you are stupid. It's just that this job has an entry requirement and you simply can't struggle at this level and expect to make it through.

I wish you the very best in your current career.

PM
Haha, what a fantastic answer. At no point did I mention "struggling" to learn the information. I simply wanted to understand the relevance to give me some structure to my revision. I actually attended a selective grammar school and have a high level of attainment, the concepts are probably simple enough, there has been nothing I haven't been able to comprehend, however I am the type of person who needs an underlying reason to learn, not just simply because I have to.

The answer provided to me by less arrogant members of the forum has cleared it up nicely. Especially the response directly above, what a fantastic and informative piece of instruction that shows me why to learn in depth subjects at this early stage.