PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Good Send Off
Thread: A Good Send Off
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2017, 15:42
rlsbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to SideValve at #14 for the link.

Having had a schoolboy enthusiasm for heraldry, I chose for my final year thesis at Cranwell the subject of heraldry in the RAF. This got me to London for an extra visit home, for spells in the marvellous Reading Room of the British Museum and for (I think) just one visit to the College of Arms.

The Inspector of Royal Air Force Badges was still Sir John Heaton-Armstrong, 26 years in the role and by then Clarenceux King of Arms. These heralds have a life time of working scholarship. My ignorance of almost everything that Sir John knew must have been a trial for him, but he was marvellously patient with me.

Anybody who can wangle a visit to the College should do so. The building is a treasure, a small surprise between plain modern office buildings. It has been on the same site for well over 400 years. It might have started as rather ordinary and it has had more than its fair share of fire and war damage, but with its handsome gates, wood panelling, gorgeous parchments and gracious habits, it epitomises every form of aristocracy. The humble Royal Air Force badge (in its many forms) seems a bit of an intruder on such premises.

Actually one sees a very satisfactory parade of badges on the walls of the RAF Club. They seem to be official copies of whatever the Inspector authorises and are a credit to whomever in the club looks after them.

My interest in heraldry of fifty or more years ago has pretty well evaporated. I am though still prissy enough to twitch when our badges are called “crests”.