PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 16:29
Aero Mad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kcockayne, to my knowledge BUA's reason for scrapping inter-island services from ACI (they would continue to operate LGW-ACI and SOU-ACI until 1 January 1970) was because they were making phenomenal losses in the context of BUA Group itself losing £1m in 1967/8, rather than directly because of Heron retirement. In 1967, the price for a Gatwick – Alderney one-way ticket had been increased from £4 9s to £6 (from approximately £75 to £100 today), whilst Southampton – Alderney would now cost £5 (£82) and Guernsey – Alderney £2 (£35). ACI services lost £46,000 that financial year (around £750,000 today). Note that these ticket prices and losses are very nearly identical to 2017 figures.

BUA evaluated the Nord 262 (which they had visit ACI on a promotional trip in 1967) and the Beech 99 as replacements for the Herons, but did not relinquish its operation of the mainland services until Fred Morton (an Alderney States member) and the airport sub-committee of the States of Guernsey's Board of Administration were satisfied that Glos Air (Sir Derrick Bailey's firm, which founded Aurigny Air Services Ltd. as a Jersey subsidiary on 19 Feb 1968) could operate the services satisfactorily. Morton Air Services and Jersey Airways, both of which had been operating BUA Group's Alderney services, were then absorbed into the newly-created British United Island Airways in a November 1968 reorganisation. BUIA, in turn, didn't retire its Herons until c. 1971 (haven't checked precise date). I am writing a book on the history of Aurigny which will be published in the summer of 2018; there'll be more detail in there.

Apologies for pedantry. Back to thread...

In other news, it's likely that G-BEVT, the final Trislander (registered by B-N in Jun 1977 and to Aurigny in Aug 1983) will fly to Duxford for preservation in May. I gather Aurigny is planning a good send-off.

Last edited by Aero Mad; 4th Jun 2017 at 16:03. Reason: My original post suggested erroneously that BUIA withdraw from Alderney on 31/12/70. In fact, it withdrew on 31/12/69.