PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depth of Knowledge for Meterology
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 13:14
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here's a thought for the day, VFR flying:

Why bother learning some amateur hour weather forecasting when the real, professional stuff is almost universally available at the click of a button?

To me, the important thing in VFR flying is to be able to look out of the window and know what is going to happen in the next 60 minutes. It should take you no more than 30 minutes to divert to a safe landing place.

Yet that is the one thing that we are not really taught and examined on!

The rest of it... well, let me tell you a story!

Decades ago, I worked for one of the country's top selling newspapers. The synoptic chart was drawn up by someone in the met office at about 10am in the morning. Probably actually drawn!

It was then faxed to the newspaper. They then sent it off to get redrawn in the art dept to fit the allocated space in the paper.

About 2pm/3pm in the afternoon, we would get the drawing to put on Page 2. Page 2 was one of the early news pages, so had a off-stone time (ie ready to go to the plate makers) of about 6:30pm.

The first edition would then go to press (ie start printing) c 8:30/9pm.

Those papers would then go to the Scottish islands etc and you could buy the there from about 9am the following morning.

So if you camped on Bute, or Broadford, you would get a synoptic chart that was - literally - 24 hours out of date.

So you would really have to have a knowledge of weather systems, how they should develop and how they actually are developing. Then you would be able to look at a day-old chart and say: that front is not doing what it is meant to!

Back to today.

The most powerful computers in the country and a whole bunch of experience professional forecasters - many with 1st Class honours degrees - produce a forecast and 30 minutes later the world can access it on their smartphones.

Yet we have to go through the charade of producing amateur hour stuff - and are we then expected to discard the professional outlook in favour of our own!