PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sideslip
Thread: Sideslip
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 11:05
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LTCTerry, Thanks for the egg sucking lesson.
Perhaps you could explain what is the opposite of sideslip, bearing i mind that sideslip is simply a velocity along the aircraft lateral axis, what is the opposite?
The two examples you give are indeed opposites, the first the sideslip is to the left, the second the sideslip is to the right.
It seems a strange aircraft in the second example, too much left rudder implies sideslip to the right, in a normal aircraft which has conventional lateral static stability, sideslip to the right will require right aileron to balance the rolling moment due to side slip.
In your case of left stick and (excessive) left rudder, a normal aircraft will be rolling left - one component of the rolling manoeuvre will be the rolling moment due to aileron deflection (left), the other component will be the rolling moment due to sideslip (dihederal effect). That is a left rolling moment due to right sideslip.
I don't use prefixes, so please don't verbal me.
If you seriously believe that the ball is always a proxy for sideslip angle all I can say is that your education is lacking somewhat.