PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sideslip
Thread: Sideslip
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2017, 04:18
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonkster, I have had a little difficulty visualising your spinning scenerio. To me yaw is rotation around the vertical axis, this may be as a result of rudder application, wings level, a normal turn, or a combination.
For your spin resistant aircraft I would add that some certification requirements specify stalling at up to 5 degrees of sideslip with no marked deterioration of stall handling qualities. They also require a similar result stalling in rain.
I would be loath to comment on your experience without viewing a time history of all parameters relevant to spinning. The problem is that this is a highly dynamic situation and even an experience TP may have difficulty assessing cause and effect without instumentation and data recording.
Wingman, no, I don't use the term skid - a sideslip is a sideslip!
However you are correct in that the terminology seems to be national in origin - my TP training was at Boscome Down, so I guess that there is a good bit of British influence in the terminology I use. Also, when looking at a flight regime such as sideslip I will be invariably assessing the aircraft handling qualities and the compliance with various stability and control requirements.
I note that FAR 23 directional static stability test require that the aircraft recover from a "skid", rudder free. There is no requirement to recover from a "slip" - very strange. Luckily both "slip" and "skid" are just sideslip, so directional static stability demonstrated in one will guarantee compliance in the other.

Last edited by zzuf; 7th Apr 2017 at 04:59.