PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what do we think of diesels now?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2017, 08:26
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChickenHouse
Did facts ever keep politicians away from stupid decisions?

I just read in a German newspaper they plan to ban Diesel powered cars from Stuttgart if they do not comply with Euro 6 regulations - their contribution to pollution in that town was estimated to be less 5% ... It is all about ideologies, not reality. I will be allowed to burn 100LL on top of their heads, but can not take the 2 year old car of my friend there to drive into town?
Consider their choices. By (European) law they HAVE to do something to reduce the emissions. So what can they do? Ban ALL diesel cars? No, because there would be an outcry. However by targeting a selection of vehicles and claiming these are dirty, this allows the Greens to claim the moral high ground without a blanket ban on all diesel cars, ensuring that sufficient vehicles have been eliminated from the city in order to clean up the air.

Personally speaking (and that's only cos I drive an EU6 car) I'd prefer that approach than that favoured by our favourite deluded hypocrite Khan, saying he's going to charge 24 quid a day for diesels to enter his Londonistan, irrespective of emissions. As if a tax ever helped the environment......

What I find interesting is that your friend's two year old car doesn't meet the limits for the EU6 regulations, but my 3 year old car does......