PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and their egos
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2017, 01:14
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots and their egos

Elsewhere, there was a reference to pilot's egos. Yup, pilots pretty well have to have an ego. How much? I sure know some pilots whom I think have too much ego, but, generally, the pilots I respect have a noticeable, and consistent ego. Not too much, but always there.

When things get tense, their ego asserts itself to keep them sharp. This is desirable. What we do not want are pilots who will shrink away from a difficult situation, when the going gets tough, the pilot snugs up the seat belts, and flies with more skill and purpose. The pilot saves the day, and lands safely. No fuss, just safe flying.

It's worth noting that certified 'planes have demonstrated the requirement that all of their flying characteristics have not only been demonstrated to be compliant, but compliant without the need of unusual pilot skill, strength nor attention. So a moderate ego pilot can manage to handle the 'plane.

Pilots must trust in themselves, and be sure to maintain skills. Then they must commit to flying the 'plane, even through the challenging situations.....