PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lap top and tablet ban
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2017, 00:51
Skywards747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Qatar Airways on a JNB-DOH-BOS itinerary connecting to Air Canada for Toronto. When I was checking in JNB, I was asked whether I have any lap tops / Tablets and when replied in affirmative to both, I was told they should be in my hold baggage. But since I knew of QR policy of taking care of them out of DOH, I told the young lady that I will keep them until DOH. She was ok with that.

I arrived at the departure gate in DOH about 1 hour before STD and was asked by the security whether I have any devices affected by the new regulations and was directed to a temporary counter where they wrap the devices in bubble wrap and put them in a box and then cover the box in plastic and give it back to you to take it through security. Then the departure gate staff attached a limited release tag and take it off you.

On arrival in BOS, there was QR staff with all those boxes and return you the items once verified by the name and the tag number.

The whole process was very efficiently handled by QR staff at both ends. Since I never do any work on aircraft, I didn't really miss the devices especially with the excellent IFE of QR A350.