PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch
Thread: Monarch
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2017, 03:37
Monarch Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's now been the best part of a decade since I was a member of the Spotty M family, in many ways I'd have to agree with the posters on their historical view of the place. All that being said, it did have its challenges that is no doubt, as has been eluded too the company was notorious for being tight fisted with respect to hotels and add-ons in the form of breakfasts etc.
My all time favourite memory of the place was just before or just after I left, a certain 330 Captain decided a low pass near the crew hotel in a certain part of Africa was required, on hearing about this incident the Flt Ops dept issued a please explain......a report was duly received..."bird avoidance"
A close second place, the 330 having recently been introduced was being sent to exotic climes, on one occasion to a rather tight ramp ringed with coconut palms. The worst subsequently happened and a wingtip met a grisly fate amongst the coconut trees during a tight turn onto stand....the Captain was from there after known as "Virgil" (thunderbird 2 pilot) for his expertise at parting coconut trees...he also from time to time received mysterious donations of bounty bars in his cubbyhole.
That in my time summed up the place, fun yes, professional always but most importantly a practical no nonsense approach to most airline things, there were one or two exceptions as there are in all airlines but they were usually stomped on pretty firmly.