PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2017, 19:30
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with TC and no doubt several others on this one - I do not think VFR pilots undertaking a bit of IMC experience/light training will help in an emergency IMC situation. And indeed is likely to make some more cavalier in such weather.

It is not that difficult, in a pre-planned exercise with an instructor alongside, maintaining straight and level on instruments for a while. Turning, climbing and descending a bit too. However the difficulty escalates massively when thrust into the reality of using those tentative skills in anger on your own - because you've entered IMC inadvertently. Firstly there is the panic of being in an emergency situation. Now you're really on your own. And the circumstances are completely different to a nice little exercise - to even be in this situation the weather is seriously ****ty and ground beneath you unsuitable for a landing - otherwise you would have done. So now, amidst major stress, those nice little control inputs that kept you close to a target attitude and heading in your IMC experience are getting increasingly large and the whole deal has got massively more challenging. Quite probably too challenging - and disaster is seconds away.

But say you manage to stay calm enough to maintain control - now there are a load of things to think about - on top of keeping that attitude and heading in tolerance. What's the surrounding terrain like? Which direction must you head to avoid high ground and obstacles? Is your climb rate high enough to avoid them? The chances are you've been so preoccupied groping along semi VFR that you've not got any clear idea of where or how you can climb to MSA safely and start to settle down. Look at the chart to see? Forget it! Even glancing at a moving map will be a huge challenge. But say then you get to MSA safely. Now what? Where is there good enough weather to do a safe let down? How will you know? Have you got enough fuel to get there - and try several times?

Then the chances are such VFR pilots are in a single engine, VFR machine, and probably don't have an autopilot, which massively increases the workload. Indeed a u/s autopilot renders single pilot IMC operation illegal in Europe, even for IR pilots, so what chance has a VFR pilot got in this situation?

And so it goes on. IFR flying requires a whole load more thought and planning than VFR - it's not just the aircraft control.

No, I'm afraid I advocate a policy of VFR pilots just never ever getting IMC inadvertently. It's not that hard. Keep to (legal) limits that you're comfortable with, go lower and slower until you reach them, and then either turn back or land. But never lose visual contact with that precious ground!