PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Meridian PT6-42 - Hot start, or not?
Old 4th Apr 2017, 02:21
MeridianPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick updates :

I took the aircraft for a spin yesterday performing 5 circuits and landings and taking the absolute beginning of the runway so i have plenty of room to come back down if necessary.

Pleased to say the engine is performing GREAT and she purrs like a kitten! Nonetheless, am getting the blades looked at today by an engine shop.

I also powered down the aircraft and had a play with dry running the starter to see how long it takes for ITT to come down to 150c which would be a good time to introduce fuel. NG stabilizes at almost 16% whilst dry running without any further increase but ITT continuing to drop to around 150deg from 200-300 when just shut down.

JRBarrett : Yes indeed, i am having the battery deep cycled. Further, i think its time to invest in a good ground power unit myself and have it kept at the hangar for starts. At the very least, this should help the battery with 40% - 50% of the starts.

plhought : After the deep cycle, if i dont see some improvements in the battery, i will have it replaced. Funny though that the POH says 13% minimum to introduce fuel (as does the sim training) hence i was always under the impression that this was sufficient, without having training in other -42 aircraft. Nonetheless i suppose this is where the forum has filled in the gaps with the wealth of information which im thankful for.

Piltdown Man : The more i think of it, the more im sure it was the airconditioning (cabin comfort). I am very certain that was turned on when i attempted to start. Further, the airconditioned turned on coupled with an extremely HOT and high ITT having just powered down couldnt have been helpful and wouldve caused that.

Thanks! I do enjoy her very much and the thought of trading her in for something else is rather difficult.

Is there anything particular about the aircraft i could share with you? On the sytems or flying it? Being deeply passionate about it, it is my joy being able to share about the aircraft.

JammedStab : Thanks for the CB popping out suggestion for future starts. It will become alot to manage though with 1 hand on the fuel lever ready to CUT and 1 hand on the starter motor ready to disengage.

Will have to attempt to start and see how paying attention on one more thing feels whilst monitoring ITT carefully.

Thanks!

porterpat : I am confused by the numbers you are quoting but just so i can clarify and absorb the advice for good use :-

I currently like to climb fast and hard to my assigned level as fast as possible, usually FL260 - FL280.

I usually climb at 1,000 - 1,100 fpm and torque setting at 1,250 lbs - 1,270 lbs.

ITT will rise thru the 600's into 740's - 750's at which point i will reduce torque and rate of climb to accomodate ITT and keep ITT below 740's.

Once i reach cruise, i will set torque at 800 lbs - 990 lbs (usually below 1,000) which is "intermediate cruise" setting in the Meridian POH.

At FL260-FL280 ISA+20deg, ITT is around 650 deg - 675 deg and it will stay stable at this temperature until descending at which point it will cool down alot.

Can i clarify what you mean by 460 cruise or 425/430 because 500lbs of torque is minimum to keep it going forward according to the POH and ive not seen ITT temp of 450 in cruise yet but it would make cruising painfully slow it ITT temp was at 450.

I think maybe 500-600 lbs of torque? Being absolute minimum to keep the plane going forward.

I will give it a try on my next flight into the levels and post back with feedback.

Thanks