PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 19:49
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Quoting 'JammedStab' - " Time to ban as many as possible"

The snag with that approach is that, unless the authorities act sensibly, perfectly law abiding radio control model fliers will be penalised and may have a quite harmless hobby destroyed.

EASA is already struggling to come up with rules that allow reasonable differentiation between R/C models and drones. The legal types seem to be having difficulty, as so often. Common sense isn't allowed I suppose.

For me the really annoying thing about this is that it looks like being a, possibly terminal, repeat of the last nonsense in UK. Way back in the Eighties, people started illegally importing and using CB radios. Those worked in the same frequency band as radio control models, so caused interference & crashes. The response of authority was to tell R/C modellers to buy new radios, changing frequency band, at considerable cost. They did nothing about the illegal CBs.
The modellers mostly had had paid up radio licences. Funnily enough, few continued to pay for those !

I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe insist that a licence is shown before purchase of any model with GPS and/or artificial stability or 'autopilot' functions?