PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 16:16
langleybaston

Received 746 Likes on 257 Posts
AFCENT had a permanent Met Subcommittee, primarily in the hunt for the elusive interoperability, which was no nearer achievement after many years.

To be honest, the meetings were jollies, with colonels and majors, civvies and sidekicks and of course a "Ladies Programme". Versailles, Ramstein, Lahr, Heidleberg, round and round it went.

Then came JHQ with the Brits hosting. My boss, SASO Tim Thorn, decided that we would wow the assembled hordes so I was give free reign, culminating with a dinner in the Mess, with all the silver, flower ladies, band and the dogs danglers.

The briefing for the AFCENT meeting which was issued about 6 weeks in advance was careful to stress "lounge suits" in order to find a lowest common denominator. It was not low enough.

Waste of breath. Among the sartorial rudenesses [which is what it was] appeared a lime green ill- fitting "sport coat" on a German, no tie on a USA field ranking officer, ladies in jeans, a rustic pullover and mansandals.

In those days we had proper RAF professional catering and Mess staff. God only knows what rabble they thought they were entertaining. SASO was kind enough to gloss over it, but the Mess WO never looked at me thereafter without glazed eyes.