PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned from the ranks.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 13:38
Danny42C

"If you have tears, prepare to shed them now"

As comparisons have been made with the Police service, perhaps you might be interested in how H.M. Customs & Excise dealt with the problem - or did before they were forcibly merged with the upstart Inland Revnue (whose Board dates back only to 1849 [Wiki], whereas we went back to Charles I). I don't know what they do now. On retirement from the RAF, I eked out my Pension with them as a VAT Inspector (boo !) for 13 years.

The scheme was this, first you had to be put on a "Vetted List" for promotion (by your superiors). Armed with this, you scanned a monthly (?) sort of AMO, which listed (inter alia) all the impending vacancies in the rank to which you aspired. Seeing one in a locality which was not vetoed by SWMBO, you applied for it. Then it was pot luck. If there was an applicant already of that rank (level transfer), he would get it. If not, and if you were the senior applicant in the junior rank, it was yours. Rarely, if ever, did a senior Post "come up for grabs!" in the place you were already serving.

Once "in post", you had "parson's freehold" it was yours till you died (or committed murder, or retired). All Customs Officers dreamt of "the little distillery in the glen" somewhere in the Highlands, where they could live tranquilly as part of the village triumvirage of leaders (Doctor, Parson and Exciseman) their whole lives through.

Now the devilish ingenuity of this arrangement came to light. You were moving to "suit yourself" weren't you ? (either to get a nicer spot [level transfer] or to get promotion). So why should the Board pay the expenses of your move ? - "You're on your own, mate !" My two moves (to take up first appointment in Manchester, and a year later a level transfer to Middlesbrough, plus new car, and my Lump Sum had "gone with the wind" !

Danny.