PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN Security has halved!
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2003, 04:57
plantzzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know iam never sure about the issue of security staff.With all respect to them I wonder if people such as them-simply men and women off the streets like most of us should be in the position of checking people before boarding flights around the world-especially after events of which we are all to aware of.
Seems to me if you dont pay someone enough to do the job they either walk out-which isnt good or dont put enough effort into the job which is even worse as who knows what could get through.
I feel with something such as aviation safety a government body should operate from airports.
I remember a holiday I went on in 1996 to South America.We should have flown direct from Heathrow to Lima in Peru or atleast via Caracas with VIASA.
They were on strike that day so we went with IBERIA via madrid to of all places Bogata in Colombia to catch an onward flight on Aero Peru to Lima Peru.
While passing through Bogata airport I was struck by the security checks we had.
At all times the checks were done by what appeared to be military police or similar bags were checked multiple times via X ray and hand checks (they all laughed at my packs of biscuits) but it just seemed they had the right idea-they were put there to do a job and they did it.
Maybe its time we had this in the UK.

It was an interesting trip as both VIASA and Aero Peru went bankrupt a short time after my return.