PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charging phone in bath
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 05:42
ExSp33db1rd

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I still have my Flying Kit Odds and Sods Box, loaded into my suitcase before every flight, which contains to this day a pair of wires, bare at one end and soldered to a small crocodile clip at the other, these, with a box of old fashioned wooden matches ( remember them ) solved any foreign fitting for which I didn't have the correct adaptor. ( poke wires in socket, stuff used wooden match - or unused if one really wanted to play with fire ! ) into the same hole to secure, and carefully clip to the prongs of the plug of ones' electric razor, or "Dipstick" coffee making mini immersion coil. Providing that the arrangement didn't touch anything, i.e. remained more or less in mid-air, and one had sufficient length of cable to conduct ones' task so that the arrangement didn't move, and wasn't balanced on the edge of the washbasin - no problem. Remove before leaving the room to the mercy of the maid.

Coffee making "dipsticks". These were initially only available for purchase in the USA, and so were made for 110 volts, which meant that one had to be a bit cautious, and ready to unplug quickly if attempting to use them with a 240 volt supply. However, the F/Eng and I were perusing a bazaar in New Delhi one day, Lo ! and Behold ! we espied 240 volt "dipsticks", securing one each we hurried back to my room and proceeded to use mine by boiling water in the bathroom. Some time later, having started to swap War Stories and totally forgetting the passage of time, we saw black smoke pouring out of the bathroom door ! The glass of water had boiled dry and the gadget caught fire, setting the towel on which I had placed the glass on fire as well.

We put out the towel fire, and noticed that the some of the bathroom was covered in a sort of greasy black residue, so opening the room door and seeing a maid down the hall I beckoned her to join us and crossing her palm with an ample supply of Rupees suggested that she might clean the bathroom ? She readily agreed and also said that she would "smuggle" the burned towel out of the hotel when she went home. That earned her some more Rupee entitlement.

Do I earn a Darwin Award ?