PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 18:34
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DB ......... What I wrote was this ....
You really only need about 50-100m of viz to be able to taxi safely I would have said , on gentle ground . ( this is not a recommendation but just what you could do as part of your finding a safe place to land ) However add in the different high odd angles of a mountain side and then throw in a good dose of turbulence etc you may find yourself running out of power when downwind and running out of ability to control it .

Now I accept it may not have been put across eloquently but it's pretty obvious I am talking about part of a process of landing safely . At this point you are already in the **** .... You should never be in this position . My point was that it is possible to " position " a helicopter to a safe place in ideal ground . I make it quite clear that it would be nigh on impossible in mountains !!!!!
I know you are a cantankerous old boy but please lay off this one time . Nothing I have said advocates flying in mountains in bad viz .... Especially if you lack the experience and especially if you have no urgent reason to do it .
Thanks !!
Ps . Just remember most of us who are actually pilots, genuinely want to put an end to these awful accidents . You have a wonderful blind belief in the rule book , which I am afraid I don't share . I would have thought it was time to have a rethink and look more carefully at training and airmanship. Normal law abiding people do sometimes speed and that is against the rules . In the real world people I am afraid do these things . Not you obviously, but others . I just want to give them more tools in their flying tool box to be able to deal with the unexpected as a lot of them are flying around totally unprepared....

Last edited by nigelh; 2nd Apr 2017 at 18:52.