PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOP call-outs. More logic needed?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 15:09
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"PULL UP! PULL UP!"
It works for GPWS, why not in the OP's scenario?

IF the decision has been made - regardless of how/when/why - and the PM IS going to say something, why not something recognizable and valuable? "PULL UP!" is both, where "Pitch" is nebulous at best, especially if the PF is disoriented.

An interesting discussion; considering all the other topics about human behaviour.
Let's consider the comparison with EGPWS. "TERRAIN TERRAIN" is advisory, as is "TOO LOW FLAP/GEAR". i.e. there is an error in what you are doing so pay attention and correct it. If you don't do that it may evolve in to "WHOOP WHOOP PULL UP." That then becomes a command. So EGPWS has two levels; advice of an error and then a command.
It is very apposite to make the point that an advisory SOP call assumes a fully functioning a/c.
IMHO the philosophy of an advisory SOP is to alert PF to an error in a parameter that has gone AWOL from the scan, and to draw attention to it so the PF can correct it. The SOP wishes to stay clear of PM commanding PF what to do and possibly causing irritation to PF and perhaps a negative effect. If PF doesn't act to correct the erroneous parameter then PM can resort to a command, i.e. as EGPWS does. It is a real skill and to be used wisely. I see many PM cadets, in their TR courses, nagging "Speed" "HDG" worse than my wife. What they don't do is monitor Thrust and advise of that BEFORE the "Speed" call that is the inevitable result of incorrect thrust. I spent many moments urging them to shift their fixation from PFD. (Even the ND/MAP was lacking interest??)

One scenario that startled and disappointed me: line flying with a low experience F/O on approach. All going very nicely down the slope; flaps coming out, manual flight thrust at idle, landing flaps selected. PF then set an N1% that was too high for the conditions. Speed started to creep up, but as yet was within speed limits but trending to go beyond. Not what you want on short finals. I called "Thrust" and PF shoved the levers further forward without looking. I quickly followed up with a "SET X N1%." The discussion afterwards was: PM "I assumed you were warning me thrust was too low." I learnt something from that. Our SOP was to call the parameter error and Thrust was not one of them. According to SOP PM would wait until speed was outside limits and then call "Speed." That is reactive not proactive. Both have a role.
The root cause of the problem was because PF set a thrust N1% without looking at the gauge, just a guess with lever position. That's not uncommon in the sim as some 'smart SFI's' teach to set thrust via the green speed arrow. Yes, that can work, but it is reactive rather than being proactively in command.
It also discourages scanning away from PFD, but that's another issue for another day.