PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Precision Approaches. What does your airline recommend?
Old 11th Dec 2001, 15:54
greybeard

Cool

Perhaps I should qualify my remarks as to the Young Ones.

Those who are out there in GA as I will call it have the skills as they use them all the time, as in PNG, Libia, Bamaga, Newman etc etc.

The more direct entry, Cadet course entry system is the one I now have to work with and the skills have not been attained by the majority of these people. No fault of theirs, just the system and the time and space to acquire these is difficult to attain as the system is geared to produce numbers in a given time.
When you end up in a very large Airliner with only 300/350 log book hours and then get 2 or maybe 3 PF sectors a month to an ILS and are more than encouraged to use the automatics, the ability to gather skills is limited. The ever increasing number of the Captains in many Airlines who have and in the future will come along this path is one for the bean counters to work with as the future is in their hands.
I will shortly be "Extinct" in the Industry I have enjoyed for more than 40 years, I wish it well, but I worry a little as to the custodians as times.
I think the roast is done, Fosters was nice and a merry Xmas to all.