PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you allow your students to do solo?
Old 1st Apr 2017, 14:50
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foxmoth... Clearly the student needs to be competant with all flap settings and go around in all flap configurations during traing, but the C150 could be a hand full for an inexperienced student with full flap on go around. Inadvetent full flap selection was much easier that say the C152 and C172, hence the C152 only had 30 degrees of flap.

Chevron, I can not see why a qualified PPL should not practice stalls solo, on the other hand it's not a bad idea to have an instructor on board, so you can get some feeback on your technique. For example I have often flown with qualified PPLs who claim they were taught to 'pick up dropped wing with opposite rudder', when infact they should have been taught to 'use opposite rudder to prevent further wing drop'. I would imagine if you entered a u/s stall warner in the tech log it was a defer defect on the Pilot's Order Book. From memory the RAF choose not to fit stall warners on the Bulldog. But Chevron, can you elaborate on the the aircraft spinning and the CO leakage or let me have the regn. I'm interested, because the C150 and C152 are fairly docile in the spin, although with full pro spin aileron, it gets a bit more exciting.

On this topic, it was previously rumoured on PPRUNE that HRH Prince William never actually went solo during his RAF training on the Grob 115 and Tucano, can anyone clarify this? Likewise does he ever fly the air ambulance without another pilot?