PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much wind is too much for ramp opeations
Old 25th Aug 2003, 00:42
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much wind is too much for ramp opeations

So at what wind speed will airline operations departments call off ramp operations.

Consider today, max wind gust recorded 68 kts at YSSY. 4 x LD3 containers blown off a dolleytrain on the international ramp, being blown clear accross 16R, smashing several taxiway directions signs and ending up near the VOR. 2 x metros jumping chocks(might at, all 3 wheels were chocked and the park brake set) and rolling down the ramp, fortunately there were ground staff or pilots on board both who were able to jump on the brakes. 1 SAAB rotated 90 degrees despite it still being attached to a tug on bay 39. Cessna Caravan on the GA ramp turned 30 deg.

The refuellers stopped work for 1 hr after one was blown clear off the ladder and injured. Bay 31 was cordened off in the early afternoon after metal roofing material off the terminal roof started raining down on the bay.

Passngers almost being blown off the steps of aircraft, ramp rats dodging flying debris weighing up to 5-7 kilos that had assumed the tradjectory of excocet missiles, I saw at 30 kg bag blown off a belt loader and fly 5 metres before touching the ground. Under the terminal pier, between the bays where the passages narrow like a venturi, the wind speed was estimated at 75 kts + constantly.

almost all the ramp staff reported some for of injury, eye contamination from grit, or cuts and bruises from flying debris. I myself got sconned on the head by a flying catering tray.

Do we have to have a serious injuty before they call a time out due wind??