PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2017, 11:41
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Crab ..... It was DB !! I think on this particular subject we are on the same side . In a completely fair non pc world you would have a higher speed limit for a qualified driver driving a modern tech car . Why should he be bound by the rules for someone with no talent ,ability or training driving a clapped out old car with poor breaks and worn tyres ??? Well the current rules for vfr are , in my opinion , possibly too low for some pilots of low ability and experience . So maybe we have different rules depending on your commitment to get the required training ?
If you only want to fly for fun on sunny days then that is fine , but if you need to fly on other days when the weather is unpredictable maybe you should do a full course of poor weather flying . This would teach you how to plan a diversion in both directions ( right or left of track ) . How to assess what the changes are in distance of viz . What height do you expect to be able to maintain . Do you have power to reduce speed to below transission if necessary to do a vertical landing ( worst case ) . Which direction do you approach wires and masts from and which way would your turn be if you decide to turn . When do you land . And lastly I still believe that an actual flight into cloud with you at the controls would hammer home the fact that you are totally unprepared and in qualified to climb to MSA .....realise that this is not really an option for the average pilot . Get to that position and you are already done for barring a big dollop of luck .
There is always the option to spend hours and hours training for ifr and then keeping in practice but very few ppl,s have the time or opportunity to do this .
So how do we start a change ? How many of you have flown into full IMC yourselves ( without rating but maybe with a rated pilot ) . Trust me it is not like flying with a hood on which is dead simple , and when low level getting glimpses of ground it is much harder than flying straight and level into a cloud at 2000 ft !!! It is totally different and I suspect most non current ppl,s would keep it together for less than 30 Sec . First time I did personally I just froze and I couldn't even change the frequencies as my brain was so overloaded . Thankfully I had a very amused and very calm mate sitting next to me . Every pilot who admits he has even just a 1% chance of making a mistake and flying into worse weather than he expected should do this . Personally I would make it part of the syllabus just like Engine off . ( but inadvertent ifr is more likely nowadays !!!!)