PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Meridian PT6-42 - Hot start, or not?
Old 31st Mar 2017, 08:32
MeridianPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the responses guys, and the reassurance that its highly unlikely something went wrong.

I am getting the engine inspected and cancelling next week's flights whilst that happens. Really prudent to make sure the engine is TIP TOP when you only have 1 to rely on (without going into single vs twin arguments )

As a rule of thumb, i normally see NG stabilize at 14.6% - 14.9% thereabouts and sort of "slow down" its climb and thats where i introduce fuel.

I know for this start, i would've passed 14% but not sure how far up, obviously not stable yet or the dry cranking would've cooled down the engine sufficiently. Should have cranked abit longer knowing i had a full battery from just arriving back.

stilton : there is, and shame on me, i dont actually know the value off the top of my head. It is in the red zone on the avionics. I often look at the green bar rising into the yellow and i know usually 830 deg - 850 deg is reached before it stabilizes and goes back down and this is in the yellow zone.

The exceedance was 1042 deg, and in the red zone.

plhought : Yes, my problem with this aircraft has always been the battery, or perhaps my battery is not in the best shape.

2 starts back to back without a flight or substantial taxiing is almost impossible without the ITT almost reaching red zone.

I will most definitely take this as a lesson and in future shut down for a minimum of 15 minutes and enjoy the warm musky breeze whilst the turbine cools down. Not worth the sleepless night and pain in my heart. Such is the bond between man and his beloved machine.

I will attempt to do some circuits in the next couple of days once the engine has been looked at before taking long flights just to ensure shes purring like a kitten.

chimbu warrior : The meridian uses bleed air to pressurize the cabin and also mix in some heat, if the cabin comfort control isnt at absolute coldest, at which case is the airconditioning compressor.

I am concerned about the smoke, most of all, as i have had exceedances in the past (2) where ITT rised to 10xx deg too and cut within 1-2 seconds and this was due to attempting to start on a weak battery. Lesson learnt, and never tried again. Both instances though there was no smoke at all so this instance caught me by surprise.

Only difference is this time the engine is mighty hot and past attempts the engine was nice and cool.

TurningFinalRWY36 : I had the starter going for maybe 20-25seconds? Maximum 45 seconds. Just the time taken to get the NG to 14% and fuel went in.

alphacentauri : The white smoke came from the exhaust. Not from the engine itself im quite sure as there is really not much in the way of vents on the PA46 for smoke to escape the engine bay area so you would really see it everywhere but im quite sure i saw it from the exhaust level.

Will have the engine looked at and will plan for 1-2 hours of circuits and landing before taking any serious flights OR passengers in the plane.

I have a nice long 12,000 ft runway so starting at the absolute beginning gives me plenty of time to come back down in the event she quits on the way up.

Thanks alot for the feedback guys, i really appreciate it and the forum/community here is a wealth of information! I look forward to sharing more of my aviation journey here.

If anyone is in my neck of the woods, dont hesitate to hit me up for a flight too. Plenty of beautiful areas here.

I attempted to land the aircraft recently at Tioman Island (ICAO : WMBT) and my oh my, what a challenge that was. Story for another day....