PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YBBN Approaches
Thread: YBBN Approaches
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2017, 06:19
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
There is always an element of automation in most modern aircraft, even if you remove the AP, AT still exists. Hand Flying is quite dependant on weather, traffic, general experience, situation awareness and more often than none fatigue.

Have a read about the Jetstar blunder above Mildura in 2014. Shows how quickly things can go wrong for inexperienced pilots at high altitudes removing the automation side of the job.

I'm yet to work with another Australian Captain that discourages hand flying. Other countries, complete opposite, the automatics are the bible.
That was what I had in mind with my Airbus quote above.

With the Airbus there is always some form of automation watching your every move, even when you try to hand fly it's still there.

The Boeing isn't like that, (certainly the 767, it may be different with the newer Boeings).

If I was asked to explain the difference, in laymans terms, between an Airbus and a Boeing I'd explain it thus:

In a Boeing, if you wanted to roll the aeroplane upside down you could. The aeroplane would scream at you "Bank Angle, Bank Angle" leaving you in no doubt what you're doing, but if you want to do it, fill your boots. The pilot has final say.

In an Airbus you could get to 60 degrees Angle of Bank and then stop. No matter how hard you pushed the silly stick over it would just say, "No No Messieur, that's all I'm going to give you". The computer has final say. Now the computer is taking its information from all sorts of probes and other systems which may, in fact, be telling the computer complete bullsh1t. It's happened many times before, even in my airline. QF72 being a very public example. There is no way, short of direct law, of taking the computer out of the loop completely. Most of the time it behaves like an obedient copilot. Sometimes it behaves like its high on crack. Airbus arrogance even stated in the FCOM that Unusual Attitude recoveries didn't have to be trained as Airbus aircraft can't be stalled or put into unusual attitudes. Complete bollocks. We now train UA recovery in the simulator, as all responsible airlines should.

From what I've seen on the Airbus, most pilots are reluctant to hand fly because the aircraft is just not designed to be hand flown. Boeing pilots seem more inclined to hand fly because once you take control, you actually have it, completely. It's far more satisfying as a result.