PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YBBN Approaches
Thread: YBBN Approaches
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2017, 02:57
Cralis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys referring to the automation and assistance aircraft provide to the pilots? I was in the extremely lucky and fortunate position to get a seat in the cabin, next to a captain on how was down to Melbourne, do do a route back to Brisbane. So he was traveling with us normal people. He was reading something on an ipad and during the take off roll, to attempt to stir up a chat, I lent over to him and told him not to worry - these things are very safe. He laughed and replied, "You clearly don't know anything about them, then", which I thought was quite funny. But never the less, we chatted all the way from YBBN to YMML, and it was one of the most enjoyable, enlightening flights I've ever had. He was so willing to answer questions and give me an insight into what was happening up front. (He was a Virgin captain).

One thing I did ask was, if he feels the art of airmanship is being lost to automation, and he said it was. But he did say something on the lines of, promoting hand flying, but I was a bit unclear on what he meant. He did say that he tried to get the FO to fly the aircraft sometimes, and he does it himself. But I ran out of time to probe further.

Would that mean, not using autopilot, and flying the aircraft manually? I spend a lot of time on my PC flight sim, and with the little C172, I can climb to .. say 5,000 and then trim the plan out to stay at 5,000 within 30 feet up and down. With the bigger aircraft (737), I find it close on impossible. So find myself setting AP to keep me straight and level.

With a commercial flight, do pilots over try practice this? Or is the flight automated pretty much all the time. And is that what sheppey, IsDon and maggot are talking about?

Thinking of this, when I said my radio calls were the hard part. I lie. Instructor, 'Climb at 800fpm at 90kts'. Wow... that was fund for the first hour. PAT, if I recall? Power, Attitude, Trim'.. And then suddenly, level out and maintain 100kts. What? Brain melting.