PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Training software
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2017, 20:47
softshoedancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had RANT ever since RANT 2000. I am revalidating my IR (at Booker, High Wycombe - excellent school, first time there after PAT EGHH shut down), and I just purchased RANT XL. I am particularly ecstatic that it incorporates a (admittedly basic function) version of the Garmin1000 PFD glass cockpit.

I would NEVER be without my RANT (I have zero affiliation with the authors, I have absolutely no idea what Steve Oddy looks like, although I have a mental picture of him as some kind of bespectacled gnome type), and the software can be used to practice approaches/ revise a lesson or as a "beginner's guide" tutorial for all the navaids currently in use. As far as I remember it incorporates all the Jeppessen plates you'll need, I simply cannot recommend this product more highly, and it is a fantastic "nerve calmer" on the evening before the test!
It allows one the space to concentrate on the instruments without needing to fly an aircraft simultaneously, which is its USP I'd imagine when compared with Microsoft FSX for example, although I have never had FSX myself. Also, as someone who has tried to find a path to install FSX on a high end laptop to no avail, the ease with which RANT downloads and runs is a sheer delight. I used to run it perfectly on a very mid range laptop previously.

Last edited by softshoedancer; 3rd Apr 2017 at 16:43. Reason: I forgot a critical piece