PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Twin Squirrel: Wales/Ireland
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2017, 11:26
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft I believe was equipped for IFR, whether the aircraft MEL met with IFR is another matter. likewise the pilot would need to be qualified for IFR flight.

If would difficult to understand why someone would plan a direct track from LTN to Dublin, based on the TAFs and Actuals, assuming that a direct track was flown under VFR, even under IFR I'm not sure I would plan flight over a mountain range due to the turbulance.

Even Valley was not really a viable diversion had they needed it, VFR or IFR. I hope this is not another case of rotary wing aircraft taking a short cut through a mountainous terrain under VFR and below MSA. Even a VFR flight routing via WAL and along the North Welsh coast I have doubts about under VFR, especially with the number of wind turbines to negotiate and the weather at Anglesey.

And to add, following the sad news, the crash site is consistant with from memory a east west low level routing via Bala and Trawsfynydd, to the north the Snowden range up to about 3500ft and to the south Cadir Idris area up to about 2900 ft. So under IFR they would have needed at least 4500 ft.

Solent........ The point that crab was making that under VFR why would you not route to the North Coast in the even of poor weather en route or alternatively why would anyone plan such a VFR flight based on the TAFs and Actuals, if it was a VFR flight.

Last edited by Homsap; 30th Mar 2017 at 11:58.