PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned from the ranks.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2017, 17:37
Danny42C

Pontius Nav (#88),

Can't answer for the rest, but I did my Meteor conversion at Driffield in January, 1950 (in the midst of the carnage).

The buzz was that asymmetric training had been done (even solo) with one flamed-out (it would be "more realistic" and encourage Bloggs to give of his best). Results were as you might expect. Then some bright statistician in Air Ministry (as then was) noticed that the accident rate per 10,000 hrs from this training alone exceeded the Derwent failure rate over the same period. ......

So, if we suspended "live" asymmetric training, and simply accepted that everybody with an engine failure would crash, we would still be better off. This Could Not Be: the fiat went out that in future the "dead" engine would in fact only be pulled back to Flight Idle (8,000 rpm as I recall). Happily this had come into force before I came on the scene.

The accident rate dropped (but was still horrendous - there was a Thread about Meteor Casualties a while back on this Forum) - perhaps the most spectacular being the Tale of the Middleton Ghost. This chap, having got it down very fast, and well up the runway, and realising that he was going to go off the end, elected to "give it the gun and go around". (Or at least, that is assumed as being the only credible explanation of what happened - he did not live long enough to tell anyone what was in his mind).

So although he banged both open, the "dead" engine (think it was No.2) was only slowly spooling-up while No.1 was up to full bore, he went roaring off across country to his right around the camp. Miraculously, he missed all solid obstacles until he got to the Officer's Mess. Now the long arm of coincidence is stretched beyond all belief.

His own room was on the ground floor on the outside of the West (?) Wing of the Mess. He went in through the window, then the great battering rams on each side went through the brickwork, the unsupported concrete lintel and a load of bricks "fell on his swede" * - and killed him

Note *: words of John Henderson, in the Tower at the time, later SATCO (Civil) at Teesside Airport. We had been Controllers together in Strubby years before.

Place is now "St. George's Hotel". Ghost is said to haunt West Wing corridors at night.

Bit of local colour, Danny.