PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2017, 16:27
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's happened to BHX - China?

Reported on EDI thread, China Eastern are to soon announce a new Edinburgh - Shanghai route (in addition to Shanghai - Stockholm and Washington). GLA meanwhile has Korean operating a longer summer season of charter flights to/from Seoul.

What on earth has happened to BHX - China? The China summer charters are dead and buried and Hainan are now rumoured to be going daily at MAN. BHX appears to have well and truly lost the race to get a non-London airport to China flight - I thought this was one of BHX management priorities, particularly given the amount of Chinese business investment in the Midlands? I'm sure they are still 'working' hard on it but EDI appears to have leap-frogged us in the queue!

Given the new DY routes to the US as well, EDI has now surpassed BHX in terms of scheduled long haul routes (unsurprising I guess with its international profile as Scotland's capital city). I know we have Goa, Phuket and La Romana launching this winter with TOM but I do fear for future scheduled long haul growth at BHX: it is becoming clear that it does not have a critical hub mass like MAN or a strong inbound demand (in particular for leisure traffic) like EDI to attract new long haul airlines and routes therefore plays second fiddle to both in this particular respect.