PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 29th Mar 2017, 13:35
Danny42C

higthepig (#61),

Got the picture now - we were in the "old" Tower ! (when did they move, btw ?). And why would they need a new Tower anyway ?
...Old Tower had a concrete balcony at the first floor around the side of the SATCOs office and the back of the Approach Room (airfield side)...
Which had been put to good use. On the S. side (W. end), this balcony had been boxed-in to create a small room, and a door led into the Approach Room. Leeming was a Master Airfield, so there was a full crew on 24/365. But, though Approach and Local were "waking" Watches, Radar Controller had a bunk in ths cubby-hole where he/she slept the night when not needed (it had a stout bolt on the door !)

"I wonder" mused SATCO to me one day: "how many of our wives know that their husbands are sometimes spending the night on duty with an attactive girl sleeping only feet away ?" ....... (My guess is "none"). But our loyal girls didn't "shop" us - not even in the powder-room natter on WAG nights in the Mess (AFAIK). At least, mine didn't know - or I would never have heard the end of it !

We lived dangerously ....

Danny.