PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has EK been the worst decision ever?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2017, 05:34
Ekisnotthebest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point of view regarding EK

Hello all,

Just an honest story regarding my experience in EK. I have been here now a good 2 years and before you check my profile, I made this account as my previous account information is lost. You can see this as a lie or the truth but Im not here to discuss that.

This is not a post to recruit people. Im not from management which I expect loads of you will say after I finish. Im not judging anyone here on this forum or in EK. Everyone has their own reasons to be happy/pissed/miserable or accepting of what is happening at this stage.

Anyway here goes.

I'm a 28 year old FO on the 777. Live with my wife in company accommodation in a nice area close to many facilities and places to visit. I have worked for a very well known carrier in Europe which I enjoyed working for but due to the low salary wasnt an option anymore.

I have joined EK purely on the fact that I want to make money to pay off my loan. My goal is to stay 7-10 years. Im not here to build a career. In the last year I managed to pay off 10% of my loan ( 200k ) which is more than I did in the 6 years in my previous company.

Reason for this post is that I've been talking to loads of friends/ex-colleagues and even have seen it here on this forum. People base their decision to come to EK/EY/QR by reading this forum and that is a mistake. You are basing your decision on information which is brought to you by people who are not in your shoes. Neither are you in theirs. You have to look at your goals.

I have spoken to guys who said, Yeah I'm not gonna join... have you seen pprune? I then show them my roster from the last 6 months and my payslips and they are regretting not joining. Purely on the fact they read information here by people who are fed up and done with EK. Which is completely understandable if you have been here for a long time and seen it deteriorate to the state it is now. But that state is better than some companies.

I for example have been asked many many times who on earth I joined this "****" company. When I tell them my story and experiences/reasons they agree and they even think it was wise for me to come. These are the same guys who 30min before I told them my reasons told me that I was (and I quote) 'a ******* idiot'.

Positive people or people who accept what is going on wont be on this forum. They won't react to me or any other post whatsoever. Positive information spreading is deemed arrogant and in our current society not interesting. All media sorts ( news, radio, social etc. ) rather tell negative things because it attracts more people. Good example is teambuilding for new colleagues in offices. If any of you guys did this, you'll know what I talk about. During teambuilding there is always a leader who acts horribly just so the guys have something in common to complain about. And my god, complaining is lovely. Just **** this **** that and get angry with everything. It's what we love as humans, especially in this company.

I have met a lot of nice guys here in EK, even while the morale is very low. Most FOs and CPTs are very nice and a joy to talk to or spend your time with enroute.

Anyway please feel free to take this information as you want it. I'll probably be attacked by the regulars here that I'm management, Costa dweller, aiming for my own floor on US and what else you guys can think off.
This is my story and the truth.

I enjoy EK. I don't regret my choice and I hope I fly with any of you to enjoy your company.