PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 29th Mar 2017, 00:59
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airpolice
Jeez, really? Don't you think it might be relevant to this discussion?

Is it really a lot to ask?

That's not just thread drift, that's casting off and steaming away on a new course.
Yeah, it's a lot to ask. I've read a few excerpts, though I allow that there may be information in there relevant to what I wrote, of which I am unaware.

In any case, I doubt that the AAIB has extended itself to the point of commenting on the "consumer expectation" aspect of airshows, as a causal factor. Spectators will watch what we an industry will offer. Add "death defying" to the ads, and they want more. The spectators will not ever say to the industry: "Hey, don't take so much risk, we're happy with graceful flybys.". They're not that knowledgeable, nor disciplined. We, the industry, must discipline ourselves, or risk adverse regulators will do it for us.

I doubt a report will explore this aspect of air display, perhaps its beyond the mandate of the AAIB. Airshow pilots are eager to satisfy the spectator expectation of an exciting display, within easy view - (low). Perhaps pilots are too eager to please sometimes, but they could be trying to please to unrealistic expectations.