PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch
Thread: Monarch
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2017, 21:18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snapper5
I'm glad in a way that Monarch has had its change or modernisation as they like to call it . Pre 2014 the airline was almost like a legacy carrier from the 60s ,
Lots of the 20+ year captains were living the life of Larry , 600 hours a year mixed fleet on full pay , a monthly week trip to the Maldives or Goa etc.. , staying in a nice all inclusive and still getting £1k worth of voyage pay ,
A pension which would give them 60k a year ? (Better than the top legacy carriers)
Whilst all this was happening the orange airline and the Irish airline were appearing and squashing T&Cs , making everything cheaper ,the start of the race to the bottom ,
So we had to do something to compete , and for now it's worked ,
I find it very frustrating when the older guys moan about how they lost out , whilst deep down I know I will never see that type of remuneration and lifestyle ,
Look at BA SH modernising , BOB food , smaller seats , pp34 , lots of bad press recently , supposedly a unhappy place to work especially with Mr Cruz at the helm ,
Why pay £150 for BA when you could pay £70 for easy ? Same package , easy is probably better in there own game
Everyone has felt the squeeze and these are the toughest aviation conditions ever with over saturated roots , terror , fuel ...

But considering all of this I still get my 4300k a month (6yr fo) and I'm part time , still fly with my friends , and always have a great day out ! Even if Monarch ever went tits up ( considering it is the oldest airline in the U.K. It hasn't done too bad ) I'm sure it would be bought or absorbed into another airline , thus no job loss (no pilots have ever been let loose)
A poster boy for the Ruinair generation. So Sad. Used to be a profession once believe or not. Now snot nosed idiots who would sell their granny if it got them "advancement" on the declining slippery pole on the race to the bottom