PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - identification collars for c/b
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2017, 20:26
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual, RAT 5 +/- nailed it (OK, mostly agreeing with me?) Truth is, when you've got a C/B problem, something is out of service. The non-essentials (galley, IFE etc.) may be ignored, but if a popped breaker governs a truly essential system, one Must have a look and consider a reset - and to hell with SOP. Unless you are more than typically visually and cognitively gifted and a S&R pilot, you will need some instruments. Recover them if you can.
One technique is to wait... let things cool down for a bit and then punch the breaker back on only during final. Have heard this more than once, but (+++) never had to do so.
Today's flying machines are complex. You have two jobs: S&R or otherwise, fly it safely Second is a thorough and complete understanding of the systems, far more demanding than S&R flying of even the A380. The SIM instructors will weed out those that fail the systems exams, but who really checks the S&R skills of the Super Heavy Drivers? Those truly qualified to make such checks can be counted on one hand. With the potential to have >500, perhaps >600 souls on board, that troubles me - often enough that I won't ride the A380. I know the B74x series in my sleep, but the history of that other big one remains limited - as a 99% FBW airplane. When a B74x breaks, we know what to do. When the A380 breaks, only a few know - and the best of class (very senior and very sharp) are already retired or will retire soon. That knowledge base and direct experience should be retained in some form. If AB knows the details - likely - they share little beyond the FBW directives and offer zero education toward hand flying their airplanes, even in direct mode, thinking it will never happen. Wrong and a poor policy. but that is their mantra. Ouch.