PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Regulation Does Not Work, and in Aviation it Kills!
Old 28th Mar 2017, 18:40
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lynxman,

Thanks for coming back. I'm afraid I think I may have to gently disagree with you here.

While the MilAAIB may now be under the direct line management of the DSA (a fairly recent development that corrected the utter nonsense of having an accident investigation team under an airworthiness regulator), it is the MAA who convenes an SI and appoints the President. During that investigation, the MilAAIB is an integral part of the "team" (SI + MilAAIB), which is headed by the President, who reports direct to D/ MAA. Therefore, the MAA potentially acquires control of MilAAIB activities during an investigation, which is the important part of their work. This functional link is not made entirely clear by MoD in its various websites.

There's also the fact that MilAAIB findings are incorporated into the MAA published report. This is an important point - the original RNAIU arrangements (which Haddon-Cave praised and recommended as a model) involved the President of a BoI requesting an AIU investigation. This investigation led to a separate AIU report, with findings and recommendations, which was submitted to the BoI president. The BoI then referred to the AIU report as it wished - but it couldn't edit the findings.

So, sorry, but I don't think the current arrangements provide a 'check' for item 3. In my view, accident inquiries need to be carried out by a department outside the MoD. I'd go further - the number of senior officers in the MilAAIB needs to be reduced. Certainly, the Head needs to be a suitably experienced and respected civilian.

But thanks again for coming back - and please feel free to continue to disagree - discussion and exchange of views is the only way to progress.

Best regards as ever to all those doing the investigations,

Engines