PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 28th Mar 2017, 09:03
higthepig

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Leeming, late 80s in the caravan on Rwy 34. A Jag calls up for recovery with huge hydraulic problems, not sure he will be able to get the gear down. Lots of talk on the radios, aircraft still had droptanks on, it was decided he would run in, drop them on the airfield then try to lower gear, if they failed to lower it would do a wheels up. I thought the plan was to drop them on the west side of the runway nearest Leeming Bar, not the east side. Jag runs in, lots of R/T about the calls to be made about when to drop etc. I watch the Jag through the bins, sure enough, no gear but drop tanks on the wings. Jag gets closer, all I can see is it nose on running in, then hear the words "callsign, drop....". I didn't hang around for the rest of the call and legged it out of the caravan, faster than Eusain Bolt (and without starting blocks) for the old cottage next to the taxiway where we reared pheasants (another story). Lungs and legs bursting, glanced back to see the tanks gracefully falling away from the Jag and hit the grass just beyond the caravan and towards the Fire Section. When they hit the ground it was like a scene from Apocalypse Now, earth, bits of expensive metal and a huge cloud of fuel covered the area. The Jag did a circuit, dropped the gear, I ran back to the van to see it land from short finals. Managed to get my breath back and call the Tower on the Hadleigh Box to express my displeasure, the Tower controllers comment was " sorry I forgot to tell you to leave...." Flt Lt D* O****-D**, where are you now, I can still smell the Avtur? Always had the door open after that when she was upstairs!