PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK or QR?!?
Thread: EK or QR?!?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2017, 07:31
Che Xindamail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good points here. I can't speak for EK, but I have done my time in QR on both the A320 and currently on A330. For sure the flying on A320 is quite demanding with multiple sector days and a fair amount of night flying, but not quite the hell it's rumoured to be. Most pilots, both seats, will do about three years on A320 and then move on, typically to A330. You say that you are mid-20s and I dare guess that you have a few thousand hours logged? If you go widebody ULH at such an early stage in your career you will forever lose the proficiency you have gained up until now. On the other hand go narrowbody short-haul for a few years and you will be an extremely proficient QR Command upgrade candidate in your late 20s or early 30's. Big shiny jets that fly very far are unavoidable in QR if you stay long enough.

QR has developed into a mature and well run organization in the past few years. Your contract is solid and steadily improving, they will not try to screw you on regulations, training has become much more humane than in the old days, we have a good bidding system for flights, 42 days annual leave that must be allocated during the leave year, and you will enjoy the best staff travel system I've seen in any airline.

That said, for sure you will have much more fun in Dubai as a single person. Doha is a bit bland in terms of entertainment, which might be an understatement.