PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there an official RAF "Adult Beverage"
Old 27th Mar 2017, 21:55
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most decent tipples are quite acceptable. However, I guess G&T and brown beer are staples. Champagne cocktails go down well before Summer balls.
Also, depending where you are in the world, vast quantities of local brews are consumed. Kokinelli goes great with a good Kebab and flaming Sambucas are well received after Decci red. I recall the Pig and Tape served a variety of bottled beers but, like the rest of Italy, it is all a bit of a haze! The variety of German beers are astounding and a dose of Ratzeputz settles the palate after grossen bier! French food demands good wines of the appropriate region, even at lunch during ADEX! I do recall actually drinking some sort of yogurt in Turkey but, that was just to settle the tum before beer. A cheeky brandy sour or two dozen does the same in Akrinelli. Champagne brunch is well thought of in Bahrain although, you may have to resort to less savoury brews in some sandy parts! That said, only the best wines of the world should be taken after refreshing beers in The UAE or Oman. Africa can be a bit of a beer session but, don't miss the chance for some really good wines if passing through Cape Town. Hotter climates often require the tanker to supply a Gin-mine on trails although this can be supplemented with a bucket of Harvey Wallbanger. A good pick-me up when further East is Tusker beer, although I tend to prefer Tsingtao with the local food. Of course, some of the superb seafood will require a fine wine but, this is not a problem to find in a decent restaurant. A Singapore-sling should be tried at Raffles but, if the peanuts dry your throat, a beer or few will sort you out before making your way to Fattys. Australia, a great country to try the beers, usually as a precursor to some fine tucker and stupendous wines in great quantity. It doesn't really matter where you hop-off to cross the Pacific, there is great food and drink all around but, maybe Honkers has the best choice and, you can easily get anything there. Hawaii is a great place for cocktails after beers at Waikiki and that gives you time to contemplate the vast range of drinks available in America. North American beer has improved tremendously and, you will have no problems finding speciality brew-pubs and local brews wherever you go. It is worth searching out some good food after a reasonable skin-full and you will not be disappointed. Of course, do not forget Central and South America, where great beers regularly lead you into a superb steak meal washed down with superb wines. You might leave North America for the UK from anywhere if your tanker is big enough and that gives you the chance to sample a huge variety of beer and other drinks. If you pass through Goose Bay, don't miss the chance to be screeched-in and, try some of the Moose steak while you are knocking back the beer!
Of course, I am only scratching the surface of a near 40 year career of drinking around the world here. Wherever you are, try the local brew!

OAP