PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tan flying boots.
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 21:25
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know Beagle won't approve of this, but to a fashion conscious 18 year old on the UAS those tan boots just didn't do it for me.They reminded me of the 'Jesus boots' that the long haired, corduroy wearing teachers of the 70s all sported.I used to lust after my COs black pair and enquired if we were the same size. I begged stores for a nice black pair, but was told that they had a job lot of tan and we weren't to be issued with any nice black ones.I did however manage to get thin cotton black socks, as the heavy ones made the old feet a bit warm, as did the green aircrew ones. One sweltering July day, I was strapped in ready to go and the CO popped his head in the cockpit and said: 'You have full right rudder on'. Before I could move, he pulled my right foot up and saw I had no socks on. 'What are you going to do if this aircraft catches fire!', he screamed. I wanted to say jump, but did not have the audacity too. I was ordered out and made to find a pair of aircrew socks. That was difficult as I hadn't worn any for about 2 months due to the summer heat.Some kind bod in the crew room lent me theirs and it cost me a beer!