PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breitling contacts?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 21:04
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idle stop
Airbubba:
Stalled a bit, since duff gen from local jewellers...diagnosis back but not the hardware! Their man suggests it does need a service and IF it needs spare parts they are not an authorised Breitling service centre so cannot get.
Thanks for the update, I'd still be a little skeptical of the need for an expensive 'repair' when it sounds to me like perhaps the pusher on the crown might be stuck. As I understand it, your watch was running fine until the battery died and Breitling did a 'repair estimate'. I'd sure ask to inspect the watch and see if you can click the crown and rotate it to see if the display changes modes.

I don't mind paying for someone with the skills to do it right but I really have felt that I paid for work I didn't need on a quartz caliber in years past. I got hit for maybe 300 Sing dollars at the Omega factory service centre in Singapore after being told that I had to take the watch, an X-33, there for a battery change because a 'special tool' was needed to open the caseback. They did some refurbishment that I didn't request or approve and I had to pay or no watch. Of course, S$300 sounds cheap compared to the repair estimate you got.

It turns out that no special tool is needed to open the X-33 as Astronaut Don Pettit demonstrates on orbit in this video: