PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 27th Mar 2017, 16:16
Danny42C

Things are not always what they seem.

It's Not Working et al,

Seems that I retired at the right time (1972) when we were still discounting the idea of a nuclear kick-off and thought that it would be a re-run of WWII (at least at the start). Estimate was that the Tartar hordes would reach the Channel Ports in 48 hours. The Wise Virgins among the Patches ensured that the family car was full of fuel, and had a suitcase packed in the hall, ready for a quick getaway.

Now another Funny Caravan Story (Binbrook, ca. end 1949). Excerpt from my Post p.165 #3295 on "Pilot's Brevet" Thread:
And one dark night when the following cross-talk was heard: ....... (ATC): "Kingpin 23, clear line up & hold" ..... (23): "Can't - Caravan's giving me a steady red" ...... (Cpl on i/c to Twr.): "No, I'm not, sir ! ....... (ATC): "He says he's not" ...... (23): "I tell you, he is" ....... (Cpl on i/c): "No, I'm NOT" ........ "He says" ......... "I TELL YOU" ........ this went on for quite some time before ATC could convince 23 that what he was looking at was the obstruction light on top of the Caravan...
(And this brings to mind an old "Tee Emm" tale of the WW2 chap who found a steady red in blacked-out Britain, thought "Pundit", circled for a while to wait for the ident and then realised that he was flying round his own navigation light).

(it happens !)

Danny.