PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin safety demonstration
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 12:33
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjpowell
I also get that some people just don't get it. In recent evacuations where people have taken baggage has it made a difference? I mention as a discussion point more than anything else.
FWIW I read an article recently (it included links to passenger phone videos) where passengers clogged up the aisles during an actual evacuation, trying to get their bags out of the lockers as people were trying to get out and then trying to use the escape slides with them (think it was in Australian Flight Safety?).

I recall the article seemed to say that people went into a different mind set when things went wrong and were stressed and wanted to make it all more familiar and normal and safe - leaving your personal possessions behind was not what felt like normal or familiar or safe behaviour to many - despite being repeatedly yelled at by cabin crew to leave their bags, they automatically wanted their stuff with them.

I think showing that evacuation video with the aisles clogged would make for better compliance should the worst happen, than being told in a briefing not to get their bags if evacuating...