PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch
Thread: Monarch
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:58
Crosswind Limits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been on PPRUNE a very long time but I have never been called paranoid or delusional!

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, no one knows how things will pan out with Monarch. Five years down the road will Monarch exist in its present form or be merged/subsumed with another airline?

Whilst I'm a recent joiner, I have friends who have been at Monarch for many years. The Mantegazza family ran the airline for their own ends and then summarily ditched it when it no longer served their needs. Many loyal and long serving employees were shafted no two ways about it. That said, if it wasn't for the rescue package put forward by Greybull in late 2014, none of us would be in a job. The rescue was painful, extremely painful even but by then Monarch had run out of options. Slashing the final salary pension scheme, cutting salaries and working hours was inevitable. Whilst the airline was saved, the process generated bitterness and resentment from some senior employees. Many left or simply retired but a few stayed on. They are easy to spot in the crew room and everyone knows who they are. Thankfully there aren't that many! There are quite a few long term employees who are still guarded about the future and that is understable but we are where we are! The move to a low cost model has been a success, albeit painful. Longhaul was stopped because it was never done efficiently, not my words but those of long standing in the airline. Moving forward if Monarch think they can do longhaul efficiently and profitably they will do it as there is definitely a market for it!

As to why the fleet change, no one knows for certain but I have heard the following. Airbus seemed to have lost interest whereas Boeing were dead keen on creating a new relationship and the subsequent terms and conditions offered were far more suitable for Monarch. I don't believe anyone at Airbus was scratching their heads because of the fleet change decision contrary to what has been said by another poster. However, the fleet change is a logistical nightmare and how it's all going to work out is anyone's guess! There is talk of A321s remaining at LGW because of slot restrictions which is another complication!

For those that are interested, the basic salary quoted on PPJN for a year 1 FO is correct. When I joined we were only offered a 10/13 contract but very soon after were offered 12/13 which I'm now on. Those that want it are now going full time from this May. I haven't got time to dig out the exact figures, but there's also flight pay, pension, private medical, LoL insurance and 30 days annual leave. However, where PPJN is wrong is saying that the travel perks are rubbish which they most definitely now are not! In fact they are really quite good and include standby with many other airlines like BA and Emirates.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I am paid on time every time and I am treated like an individual. The company is very reasonable and accommodating most of the time and genuinely a nice place to work. Unless things change dramatically, I plan to see my career out at Monarch if I can!