PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK or QR?!?
Thread: EK or QR?!?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 07:41
bananaman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheVanguard
I am aware that there is a lot of information (not all so positive) about EK out here. But I'm looking for some honest and useful advice.

I have offers from both EK and QR on different buses (380/320). I have to make a decision soon. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

I'm single in my mid 20s. QR seems to be the better company from what I read around here, but EK attracts me because of the long haul flying and the big bus.

Thanks for all your advice in advance!

I backup most of the previous comments.

I chose QR but got widebody and am reasonably happy right now (from a flying, roster, staff travel point of view etc etc).

I'm single also and you'll definitely have more fun and will enjoy living in Dubai much more. The cabin crew in EK are better also.

A couple of other things that i considered with regards to EK though (which may not be a concern for some). You say you're mid20s - while command may not be an immediate concern... they say minimum age for command on 380 is 35 now. So you may be waiting up to 10years. Secondly something that put me off was the 5year bond at EK.

By the way... i had a look around at the last couple of months 320 rosters on the system and 90hours as a general rule is not true... you may fly a bit more initially as a new joiner or if on low hours but other than that no. Stuff about the turnarounds and not having as much time off compared to other fleets is true though.

In your current situation - single mid 20s, my feeling is EK might be a better option for you. You could always ask Qatar if there is any possibility of widebody also, even if it means delaying the start date.

Lots of stuff on previous threads on comparisons between the big 3... check it out.

Digressing slightly... the general feeling of these threads is the Middle East is over and to look elsewhere... home (wherever that is) or a commuting contract for lifestyle and/or more pay.

Anyway you specifically asked about QR vs EK, so hope it helps.