PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin safety demonstration
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2017, 06:18
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree Junkster that the timing and content of the safety demonstration need to be rethought.

Some things, like bags in the lockers, should be conveyed much earlier - I would say even before boarding. 'Learning' this while taxiing is too late.

A little more interaction might help. Asking pax to locate their two closest exits, and to count the rows. Why not say "Ladies and Gents, there is one thing you need to leave behind in the evacuation. What is it?" Or "Is this anyone's first flight? Hands up please" and then show them how the seatbelt works. (It is different than most first time flyers have ever seen) And not the same interaction every time.

Some of we SLF know the routine as well as many cabin crew. Before the briefing has started I have secured my carryon, buckled my belt, located my life jacket, counted the rows fore and aft to the nearest exits on both sides, located the panel for the O2, familiarised myself with exit openings (B737 particularly inconsistent here) etc.

What's being done today hasn't been looked at for decades and it should be. It seems these things only get reviewed following accidents.

Yes hairbrained ideas but what we are doing isn't really working - as evidenced by the disinterest of passengers.