PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Precision Approaches. What does your airline recommend?
Old 30th Nov 2001, 01:41
downfourgreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

A nice debate.
In accordance with FAR and ICAO PANS OPS criteria, an airplane is not authorized to fly below MDA until reaching the required visual reference or begin a missed approach prior to the published missed approach point.
Therefore, based on your opinions I have some doubts and would like some help:
Almost everybody agrees that a constant-rate descent is safer and comfortable than a step down approach, but I’m little confused when, for example, an airplane has to reach a significant high MDA (e.g. 600ft AGL). During a profile descent, the pilots are waiting for visual cues to complete their approach, if the crew complies with JAR-OPS I understood that they should reach MDA at point where the airplane could complete a stabilized approach (3 degree, 800 fpm, at least), and in case of no visual contact or not stabilized they must start a go-around promptly, without stopping at MDA. However, if the MAP is over the VOR, some miles ahead, how and where do the pilots begin the missed approach maneuver? Don’t they need to keep the airplane at MDA until MAP (FAR and ICAO rules)?
How do you define the initial point to start a final descent based on a 3-degree profile angle until MDA when no information is provided on approach chart? Is it only an FMC calculation?
Thanks in advance